• Now through Nov. 19 — Minnesota firearms deer season.
• Nov. 18-26 — Wisconsin gun deer season.
• Nov. 25-Dec. 10 — Minnesota muzzleloader deer season.
• Nov. 27-Dec. 6 — Wisconsin muzzleloader deer season.
• Dec. 30 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes entirely within the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• Jan. 13 — Opening of lake trout and stream trout seasons in lakes outside or partly outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
• March 31 — Brule River steelhead opener.
• May 5 — Wisconsin general fishing opener.
• May 12 — Minnesota general fishing opener.
Consult regulations for other seasons.
"I was young and eager, and I tended to measure the success of a day's hunting by the heft of my game pocket. I learned how to hit flying grouse the old-fashioned way — by shooting often and relying on the law of averages..."
— WILLIAM G. TAPPLY, "Upland Autumn"
DO IT: Beat the darkness
Now that daylight saving time has ended, it's easy to feel a bit cloistered by the darkness. Here's a simple thing that can brighten your winter walks: A headlamp. Headlamps have come a long way. Many feature LED bulbs and rechargeable lithium batteries. Check your local outdoor shop to find them. Enjoy your nighttime winter walking.