Things to Do for Aug. 11, 2017
Something for Everyone
Jay Cooke State Park, 780 Highway 210, Carlton, offers these programs. Meet at the River Inn Interpretive Center unless noted. Call (218) 673-7011.
• 1-3 p.m. Sunday, Thomson Hydroelectric Tour. Call (218) 673-7005 for required reservations.
• 8-9 p.m. Sunday, Wolf Ecology.
• 10:30-11:30 a.m. Monday, the "How-To's" of Fishing
• 4-4:30 p.m. Monday, Head in the Clouds
• 8-9 p.m. Tuesday, Life of a Voyageur!
Grab your tennis shoes and take part in the 22nd annual Kristin Burkholder Memorial 5K Walk/Run, 9 a.m. Saturday, Esko High School football field on Canosia Road. Packet pickup begins at 7:45 a.m. Free kids race begins at 8:45 a.m. Cost: $25 per person or $60 per family. Go to esko.k12.mn.us, northlandrunner.com or minnesotarunner.com.
Don't miss Kids, Cops and Cars, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Bayfront Festival Park. Features K9 demonstration at 11:30 a.m., tug of war at 12:30 p.m. and horse demonstration at 1:30 p.m. Free hot dogs and burgers will be served.
Something for Adults
Get your tickets for the "Murder on the Disoriented Express" aboard the North Shore Scenic Railroad, 6:30-9 p.m. Monday through Aug. 18. Enjoy dinner and drinks while you solve the mystery. Tickets: $78. Go to duluthtrains.com.
• Glensheen Historic Estate, 3300 London Road, Duluth, offers a 39-room mansion and 7 acres of formal gardens and working vegetable gardens. Grounds hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with tours offered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Visit glensheen.wp.d.umn.edu or call (218) 726-8910.
• Duluth Depot, 506 W. Michigan St., includes Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth Art Institute, St. Louis County Historical Society and Veterans' Memorial Hall. Hours: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily to Labor Day. Visit duluthdepot.org or call (218) 727-8025.
• Douglas County Historical Society, 1101 John Ave., Superior, offers exhibits, events and history theater. Hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays; noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (715) 392-8449 or go to douglashistory.org.
• Great Lakes Aquarium, 353 Harbor Drive, Duluth, models a number of habitats from the Great Lakes and around the world. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Visit glaquarium.org or call (218) 740-3474.
• Lake Superior Zoo, 7210 Fremont St., Duluth, is the only zoo in Northeastern Minnesota and Northwestern Wisconsin. It features a wide variety of animals and educational displays. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Visit lszooduluth.org or call (218) 730-4500.
• North Shore Scenic Railroad, 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth. Go to northshorescenicrailroad.org or call (218) 722-1273 for details.
• Lake Superior & Mississippi Historic River Train, 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays through Oct. 22, 7100 Grand Ave. Call (218) 624-7549 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.