Make a Difference
• Memorial Blood Centers will offer the following blood drives across the Northland. Call (888) GIVE-BLD (448-3253) or go to mbc.org for eligibility guidelines and to schedule an appointment.
Monday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Northwood School, N14463 Highway 53, Minong. Sponsored by Northwood School National Honor Society.
Monday: 3-6 p.m., Fortune Bay Casino, 1430 Bois Forte Road, Tower. Sponsored by Tower community.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Department of Natural Resources, 1201 E. Highway 2, Grand Rapids.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Chris Jensen Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2501 Rice Lake Road, Duluth. Sponsored by Chris Jensen, Public Safety Building and Arrowhead Juvenile Detention Center.
Tuesday: 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Mesabi East High School, 601 N. First St. W., Aurora.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Mountain Iron-Buhl High School, 5720 Marble Ave., Mountain Iron.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wrenshall High School, 207 Pioneer Drive.
Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., AAR Corp., 4600 Stebner Road, Duluth.
Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., UnitedHealthcare, 4316 Rice Lake Road, Duluth.
Thursday: 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Eveleth-Gilbert High School, 801 Jones St., Eveleth.
Friday, Jan. 12: 8-11 a.m., U.S. Bank, 130 W. Superior St., Duluth.
Saturday, Jan. 13: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, 10 Elizabeth Ave., Esko.
• Mountain Iron Community Center, 8586 Enterprise Drive South, is hosting "Power of the Purse" sponsored by United Way of Northeastern Minnesota. Luau themed party begins at 5 p.m. Jan. 25 and includes dinner, auction, raffles, drawing, dress-the-theme costume contest and program. Tickets are $45 per person or $25 for veterans or service members. Proceeds benefit United Way of Northeastern Minnesota's Smiles Across Minnesota preventative and restorative school-based dental program for uninsured and underinsured Iron Range children. Call (218) 254-3329 for tickets.
• Harbor Pointe Credit Union, 11 W. Second St., Duluth, is a sponsor for the Chain-of-Hearts campaign, an annual fundraiser organized by Minnesota Credit Unions for Kids program, and encourages members, community residents and area businesses to contribute by purchasing paper links for $1, $2 or $3 beginning Monday and continuing through Feb. 28. Hearts and links are personalized and added to the chain. Proceeds support Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare.
• Korkki Nordic seeks volunteers to help shovel snow from the sides of the trail onto the trail in preparation for the Two Harbors Invitational high school ski race. Volunteers are needed through Jan. 15. Some shovels are available at Korkki, 1711 Korkki Road, Duluth. Call (218) 525-7326 for information.
• Chris Jensen Health and Rehabilitation seeks a volunteer piano player for church service on the third and fourth Wednesdays of the month and the fifth Wednesday, if needed. Other types of accompaniments are welcome. Contact Michelle Carlson at (218) 625-6427 or email@example.com.
• Companies to Classrooms Duluth seeks volunteers to help teachers shop for free supplies, stock shelves and keep the store tidy. Work requires some light physical labor. Store hours are 2:30-5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays during the school year. Contact: Mary Streufert at (971) 258-4304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Duluth Area Family YMCA seeks volunteers for its Out of School Time programs. Volunteers can choose to serve as academic mentors and tutor the same child for 10 weeks, or serve as a support person for the program and work with multiple students on academics and engagement in program activities and clubs. Volunteers must be able to commit to 10 weeks for a minimum of one day per week, and must be 18 or older. Volunteer opportunities are available from 2-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contact Gina Miller at (218) 722-4745, ext. 159, or email@example.com.